Thursday 21 May 2009

Don't Touch The Banana!!

Honestly, the excitement in my life knows no bounds!!

I had arranged to take my friend Caroline to buy some new ladies for her hen house, she keeps a beautiful array of laying chickens in her huge garden.

So off we went, with the help of her hubby's SATNAV because we always get lost when we go over to Miller's Farm in Preston! We got there, albeit with one or two 'recalculations' of the route :-) and Caroline chose her new ladies.

Then, once we had told the SATNAV we were going home (it was rather confused) we meandered around some very narrow winding roads en route back to the motorway. I commented that my clutch felt a bit spongey and that put an end to any driving ability my car had. It squeeled, it smelled, it refused to go. So we sat for a while and Nathaniel rather liked the car/van/bus/nee-nah spotting that went on while he munched a banana from my hand bag.

And then, like a knight in shining armour Colin the AA man arrived;


I put Nathaniel back into his car seat and got out to let Colin have a look, my boy was not impressed;


It couldn't be fixed. I could drive it (in theory) and Colin would follow us incase. I chickened out and let him tow us. I have never been towed before but the lovely Colin was kind and patient and told me exactly what to do; keep engine on (makes steering easier), don't put in gear, only lightly touch brake when Colin slowed down to show cars behind us we were slowing, indicate when he did and keep right behind him;

It is very starnge driving without your feet and I wanted to change gear everytime we slowed down or speeded up. Caroline had a plan and the mantra all the way back was "Don't touch the banana!";


It worked quite well until near the end of our journey when a blue flasher wanted to pass us and I panicked and got a handful of slimey banana skin!!

Here are Caroline's new ladies being inspected by the old timers;


They don't have names yet but am sure they will be very happy living with Caroline and her family.

A big thank you to the lovely Colin from the AA who rescued what must have seemed a very strange car filled with two mad women (sorry Caz but you are) and two rather smelly chickens and a small boy who insisted that Colin's van was a 'ellow nee-nah! Our knight in yellow, high vis armour!

Daisie xxx

5 comments:

Vicky x said...

Glad you got home safely. Your little boy is very cute!

Mandy said...

Oh my goodness dont touch the banana that is so funny I was laughing out loud when I saw the picture of the banana
The ladies are beautiful and I am sure they will love their new home x

Greentwinsmummy said...

oh my I howled when I got to the bit where the title made sense! fabulous post!!! glad you go tback safe & hope the car isnt too expensive to fix :oS
GTM x x

Tip Top said...

Hehehe! Bananas are vile anyway!! Hope car is feeling better now!

Unknown said...

Haha. I HATED every minute of being towed! And I had no food in my handbag, worse luck! :o) xx